Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Gift of Music

About a year ago, just after my son was born, I started this blog with little to no direction at all. It was and remains a simple outlet where I can share and at times clarify my thoughts. It was a tool for self exploration that I hope one day my son might read and learn his old man really believed the things he tried to teach him. I never thought for a single minute that anyone would ever read anything I wrote. But somewhere along the line I started getting a bit of a following. Last time I checked I’ve had readers from nine countries, on four different continents. Thank you. It feels nice to know that someone wants to read what I write down.


I haven’t been as active as I should be on the blog lately. I suppose life doesn’t always allow for such things. But to be honest I really haven’t felt all that inspired lately. But sometimes inspired of not, you just have to do something because you know it’s the right thing. This is such a time.


My family has been going to Snyder Memorial Baptist Church for a long time. We feel welcome there as if we are part of an extended family that truly complements our own. One of the reasons why we feel so welcome is our Minister of Worship and Praise Team Leader, Giles Blankenship. The music that Giles performs for us every Sunday is beyond any doubt in my mind the result of a very well honed and crafted gift from God. Thank you Giles for all the work you put in, and for bringing such joy to us all.


So now that I’ve introduced a lot of different people from myself and my church family to the anonymous readers of my blog, I’d like to bring us all together for a truly noble purpose. You see there is another way to experience the wonderful music Giles crafts for us during our worship service. Every once in a while when time and money permits Giles puts out a CD. You can follow this link if you want to hear Giles at his best. I currently own and very much enjoy his first four albums. Right now he is working on his fifth album. I can’t wait for it to come out. But a CD from first thought to final product isn’t just a lot of work; at around $8000.00 dollars it’s also a pricey endeavor. 


Giles has reached out to his Facebook friends and to many more via YouTube to help with funding to make this album a reality. As his friend both on and off Facebook I wish I had the money to help. I unfortunately for now though do not have even the smallest luxury that is extra money. But I still want to help. So I prayed about it. And after a Sunday school lesson about good stewardship I decided that if I have no money then I must be able to help with my talents. Of course, then I remembered that I am no musician. But I have this blog with a few hundred readers who seem to care enough to read about the things that matter to me. And I started thinking that If only one percent of them would help my friend then that would be more than I could do as just one person.


I don’t ask much of my readers. I honestly don’t think it is my place to ask anything of you. But I feel that this is different because I am not asking of anything for myself. I’d like you to watch the video here at the bottom of the text. If your interest is sparked then take a little more time and go to www.gilesblankenship.com to learn a little more about Giles and the work he does. Then if you are so moved as to help his endeavor with a small donation I would very much appreciate that. And so will the many others who benefit from his music. Thank you. And have a blessed day.      



  

No comments: